Interested in learning more about foreclosures, homes for sale, buying and selling, communities or local events along the Emerald Coast? You have come to the right place!
We here at Rob Brooks Realty look forward to serving you by keeping you informed on everything Emerald Coast. By keeping you up to date on the best local restaurants, beaches, festivals and shows we hope to convince you of something we believe- there is no better place to live!
Welcome to the Emerald Coast!
The New Year is right around the corner so why not celebrate by checking out the local fireworks shows and celebrations in your area.
Fireworks @ 12:00 A.M.
Location: Pensacola Beach Boardwalk (Pensacola Beach)
Fort Walton Beach
Fireworks @ 8:00 P.M.
Location: The Boardwalk (Okaloosa Island)
Fireworks @ 8:00 P.M. & Midnight
Location: Fort Walton Beach Landing Park (Fort Walton Beach)
Destin / Seaside
Fireworks @ 8 PM & Midnight
Location: HarborWalk Village (Destin)
Location: The Hub (Seaside)
This year, put the GIVING in Thanksgiving!
Here are a few opportunities to give back and to engage with our Emerald Coast communities this Thanksgiving.
WATERFRONT RESCUE MISSION (Pensacola)
Help neighbors facing hunger and homelessness by making a financial donation of any size -- DONATE HERE
The Water Front Mission is need of volunteers year-round to volunteer, visit their website HERE.
MANNA FOOD PANTRY (Pensacola)
Help Fill the Mayflower on Nov 25 & 26 at Cordova Mall in Pensacola. Manna Food Pantry will be accepting monetary and non-perishable food donations to meet the needs of those in Pensacola, Milton and Jay.
Visit the Manna Food Pantry website for additional information.
ANNUAL COMMUNITY DINNER (Navarre)
3rd Annual Community Dinner for first responders on the job, those just passing through without a place to stay, and those that cannot afford a thanksgiving meal. Free Thanksgiving Day meal from 11am - 3pm on Nov 28th. Volunteers and food donations needed , visit the Navarre Chamber website for addition information.
THANKSGIVING DINNER AT HARBOR DOCKS (Destin)
Thanksgiving Dinner at Harbor Docks in Destin from 11am - 7pm on Thanksgiving -- Enjoy a FREE traditional Thanksgiving Day meal with turkey, ham, and all the trimmings served by Habitat volunteers and provided compliments of Harbor Docks Destin, no reservations required.
Donations are welcome and benefit Okaloosa County Habitat for Humanity and Destin Harvest.
Volunteer to help out during Thanksgiving at Harbor Docks (various shift and duties + you can still enjoy the meal) Volunteer here.
Give Thanks at Harbor Docks Destin this year by eating, sharing, and volunteering!
SHARING & CARING OF OKALOOSA CO. (Crestview)
Sharing & Caring of Okaloosa Co. is a non-profit organization that serves as a provider of emergency food for those in need. Organize a food drive for non-perishable food items or make a monetary donation to help them meet the needs of the community.
GIVING TUESDAY (Online)
Tis the season for giving, the Tuesday after Thanksgiving is Giving Tuesday. Connect with your favorite non-profit organizations online and show them some love this holiday season!
Fall on the Emerald Coast is such a wonderful time of year! We encourage you to take some time to make this a fall to remember! We’ve compiled a fall bucket list to help you have an amazing fall and we’re happy to say that these activities cost little or no money and most can fit into even the busiest schedule.
1. RIDE A BIKE. Ride through your neighborhood or pack up the bikes and head to a bike trail or one of the many state parks in NW Florida. Topsail State Park is especially bike friendly.
2. FAMILY MOVIE NIGHT. Watch a family-friendly movie under the stars at any one of these Emerald Coast venues: The Hub 30A, The Island Ft. Walton Destin by Hotel RL, Uptown Station in Ft Walton, Movies on the field in Gulf Breeze. If you prefer to stay in, whip up an autumn mix that is sure to please and put on a family-friendly feature or shorter films. If you have children at home, try out The Gruffalo and The Gruffalo’s Child, both are based on children’s books and are available on Amazon. For a quick and yummy autumn snack mix, use microwave homestyle popcorn, mini pretzel sticks, and candy corn – just mix and enjoy.
3. VISIT THE BEACH. Take a leisurely stroll on the nearest fishing pier – keep an eye out for schools of fish, sea turtles, dolphins and other sea life. Check it out: The pier at Navarre Beach is the longest in Florida at 1,545 ft long and 30 ft above the water.
4. HOST IT. Host a chili cook-off, mac and cheese bake-off or pie contest at your home or community clubhouse. Invite friends and neighbors and prepare for an evening of fun and fellowship. Along with an entry fee that will go towards prize for best and most original entry, consider asking each attendee to bring along a non-perishable food item or a small cash donation for a local food pantry.
5. TREAT A NEIGHBOR OR SURPRISE A FRIEND with a fall treat such as these cream cheese pumpkin muffins or give a simple gift such as a fancy pumpkin adorned with a gingham bow.
6. SAY CHEESE. Take family photos for Thanksgiving or Christmas Cards. Consider a beautiful beach setting, pumpkin patch, Eden Gardens, a downtown area, or the front porch of your home.
7. GO CAMPING. Fall is the perfect time to tent camp! If you like the idea of camping and don’t have your own gear, don’t be shy about asking friends or family to borrow a tent. If you’re a novice camper plan on going on a one-night trip for starters and do a trial run with tent set up at home.
8. GATHER ROUND THE FIRE. With a raised firepit you can build a fire to gather around with family, neighbors or friends. What’s a fire without s’mores??? Provide sticks, marshmallows, graham crackers, and Hershey’s chocolate bars. If you’re feeling adventurous, sub Reese’s Peanut Butter cups for chocolate bars or use just use fudge stripe cookies and marshmallows for a different kind of s’more.
9. WALK THE BEACH. Connect with nature and take a long walk on the beach. Help keep the beaches clean and protect our sea life by picking up any trash you find along the way.
10. GEOCACHING is an outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location. It’s a fun and challenging way to explore your area. Here is a link to help you get started. Geocaching is a fun adventure for children and adults!
If you try out some or all of these ideas, we’d love to see some photos from your experiences! Connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter and use the hastags #RobBrooksRealty #LiveECFL
When a hurricane is brewing, residents flock to the store to stock up on bottled water and fill their tanks with gas. While last-minute provisions like bottled water and gas are important, ideally, hurricane and emergency preparedness begins far in advance. With some advance preparation, you can have peace of mind and a solid plan in place to protect your family and your home in the event of a hurricane or other emergency.
The helpful team at FEMA has provided the following list of resources to help you prepare for a hurricane or other emergency.
Did you know? September is National Preparedness Month and the peak of hurricane season. Share this blog post with your friends and family to help them get prepared too!
Fall has arrived and it always brings glad tidings: cooler temperatures, warm colors of the leaves, and pumpkin-spiced everything. If you are a homeowner, you probably have been waiting to start those numerous house projects once the summer heat makes its last appearance for the year.
Whether it’s an indoor or outdoor home improvement, now is a great time to mark them off your to-do list, particularly if those improvements will help protect & prepare your home for the winter months.
Get your home ready for the winter by checking these items:
- Check the roof & siding of your home for any damage/ Trim any vegetation away from the roof that could cause damage later.
- Have a professional inspect & clean the chimney.
- Fertilize and reseed your lawn.
- Cover any exposed water pipes & outdoor faucets to protect them from freezing temperatures.
- Check interior areas (attic, crawl spaces), faucets, water heaters & other appliances for leaks.
- Replace caulking around all windows, doors, bathtubs/showers, sinks & toilets.
- Check heating system and replace air filters as needed.
- Program thermostat to help save energy.
Hurricane season is in full swing as we enter into the season’s most active months. Whether you own a home or live in a condominium, it is important to be prepared before the storm.
1) Create an evacuation and communication plan.
2) Prepare emergency kits and gather supplies & important documentation.
3) Take a video of the property and its contents.
4) Verify insurance coverage with your insurance company.
5) Bring loose, lightweight objects inside and anchor down large, heavy objects outside.
6) Cover all windows and sliding doors; close storm shutters.
7) Turn refrigerator & freezer to the coolest settings.
8) Move vehicles away from flood areas.
9) Listen to local authorities and evacuate if told to do so.
For more helpful ways to prepare for a hurricane, visit www.ready.gov/hurricanes.
July 4th is only a few days away and there are so many activities and celebrations along the Emerald Coast to celebrate the holiday. Check out the 4th of July events in your area.
Sertoma’s Independence Day Celebration
Location: Seville Park Square
Date: July 4, 2019
Times: Events start @ 11 AM / Fireworks @ 9 PM
Independence Day Fireworks
Location: Casino Beach – Pensacola Beach
Date: July 4, 2019
Times: Fireworks @ 8:30 PM
Fort Walton Beach
City of FWB July 4th Celebration at the Landing
Location: 139 SE Brooks Street – Fort Walton Beach
Date: July 4, 2019
Times: Events from 4-11 PM / Fireworks @ 8:45 PM
4th of July Celebration at HarborWalk Village
Location: HarborWalk Village - Destin
Date: July 4, 2019
Times: Events from 7-11 PM / Fireworks @ 9 PM
Love is in the air .. or is that the smell of dinner?
We kid, we kid! On a more serious note, here are five great restaurants from Pensacola, Florida to Seaside, Florida to try for Valentine's Day! These are the places you will want to take your spouse, family or friends for an extra special dinner on the day of love! But don't just take our word for it. ;)
(Valentine's Graphic by Valeria_Aksakova on www.freepik.com)
We just got back from the Florida Realtor's Mid-Winter meetings down in Orlando, Florida! We had the best time growing and serving in an organization that is concerned not only about home ownership but also private property rights in our sunny state of Florida.
At this meeting, Rob was elected treasurer of the Florida Chapter REBI (Real Estate Business Institute) which trains real estate brokers to be better brokers and real estate agents to be specialists in listing and selling. He also is serving on the Florida Board of Directors for 2019 as a representative of the Emerald Coast along with continuing his service on the Development committee, which he has been a part of for the past two years.
It was three full days of meetings, networking and catching up with old friends! It was a huge honor to serve other professionals in our industry by helping improve overall professionalism of realtors and establishing resources to help realtors do just this.
If we can help increase professionalism among the professionals - we help increase buyers and sellers' experiences with all realtors in the state of Florida. That to us is a win!
On a lighter note - we also couldn't go to Orlando without visiting Sea World with the family!
It was a great trip and a great way to start off 2019!
(Thank you, Josh Summers, for sharing these pictures on Facebook!)