We have put together for you a fun list of things to do to make sure your home never sells.
- Keep Up The Family Tree. When someone is walking into your home as a potential buyer, they are looking around to see if they can envision it being their home. One way to prevent this envisioning process from happening is to keep all of your belongings in the house. Don’t take down all of the family photos of your great, great grandparents that are hanging in the hallway! The personal sentiments and hanging family photos are a sure way to translate to the buyer that this is your space, and thus will prevent them from being able to envision themselves calling it their home.
- Don’t Take Out The Trash. Smell is one of our most prominent senses. A smell can draw us in whether it be the scent of perfume, the smell of fresh cut grass or our mom’s apple pie. In the same way a smell can completely turn us away. No one wants to have to sit close to someone who hasn’t bathed in a week. So, our second tip would be to make sure that you don’t try to deodorize your house before people come to look at it. It has been said that a light scent, such as a simple orange scent, is very inviting to someone walking into your home. You definitely don’t want to do that if you are trying not to sell. So, be sure to wash the dog or leave the dishes dirty for an optimum turn off smell.
- Leave The Gnomes. You love gnomes in the front yard, so everyone does too, right? Not really. In a lot of cases, less is more. This applies very well to the front yard. Your front yard is typically the first thing someone sees when they are approaching your house. If you want to make your house attractive, a manicured yard is a great way to do that. A lot of “extras” in the yard can be distracting and make the prospective buyers feel overwhelmed before they even walk inside. If you want to make sure you don’t see your home, leave the gnomes.
- Gossip About The Neighbors. Neighbors are one of those fundamentals that can seal the deal for someone thinking about moving in the neighborhood or not. It is nice to have a good standing relationship with those living around you, since chances are that they are planning on staying in that same place as you are. A great way to make sure that someone is not interested in moving into your house is to talk about how annoying the people next door are. Who doesn’t love loud and annoying neighbors?
- Frown To Turn Things Upside Down. You have the potential influence the selling of your house more than you may think. You attitude influences others, be it positive or negative. A smile makes someone feel welcome, and even excited about the things you are excited about. The same is true of a frown. Frowning can make the people around you have a unpleasant experience or in this case, an unpleasant feeling when they are viewing your home. Be sure not to smile if you want to stay in your home for years and years to come.
(Disclosure: If you are interested in ways to help your home sell, the opposite of the above list is just as helpful.)
Have A Great Monday!
Kaylie B. Poplin